On Wednesday, Dec. 18, Winters ISD held second annual Health and Safety Day. The district SHAC committee, led by nurse J’Lynn Cooper, plans this day This year WISD collaborated with multiple organizations to bring a day of fun for students and a health fair for community members. The Health Fair included free flu shots from the Texas Department of State Health Services, free blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol checks from the North Runnels Hospital and a Blood Drive.
Students were amazed to watch the Hendricks Air Evac helicopter land. Then they rotated through multiple stations that included dental health information, yoga techniques for stress relief and Conscious Discipline breathing techniques to help with self-calming. Over 35 high school students worked with the elementary classes during the day to help run the stations and work with students. This day would not be possible without the support of everyone in the district and across the community.
Below is a list of organizations that partnered with WISD to make the 2019 Health and Safety Day a success.
• Hendricks Medical Air Evac
• Meeks Blood Bank
• North Runnels Hospital
• Winters Nursing Home
• Texas Dept. of State Health Services
• West Central Texas Council of Gov.
• Child Safety Coalition
• M, C and A Dental
• Winters Volunteer Fire Department
• Winters EMS
• Leslie Molamphy- certified Yoga instructor
• Ursula Lopez- Conscious Discipline
• Familia’ Dental
• High Sky Children’s Ranch
• Texas Star Plus
• Texas Tech-Women’s Health Initiative
• La Esperanza Outreach
• First Care Health Insurance
• Winters Police Department
• Germ Blast
• Mark Bridgman- Bus Safety