Improperly discarded smoking materials led to a house fire Friday afternoon that caused an estimated $40,000 in damages, according to Amarillo Fire Marshals' officials.
At 12:18 p.m., the Amarillo Fire Department responded to a residential structure fire at 6218 Estacado Lane. Crews arrived within three minutes and saw smoke coming from the rear of the house, AFD stated.
The fire was under control by 12:37 p.m. Amarillo Fire Marshals' officials ruled the blaze an accident. No injuries were reported, according to the department.